Thok as a Mage

Class mechanics and how to keel stuff. Boss downing mayhem.

Moderators: Speedious, Doomhammer Assholes, Zul'Jin Officers

Thok as a Mage

Postby Klunky » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:46 pm

Based on our results last night I was thinking what I can do to help the situation. I suck at healing and tanking so I can’t offer anything constructive on that front. I do know how to play a mage and it seems that a few of you are looking to improve your mage alts at least on range intensive fights. So here go my thoughts on fighting Thok as a mage, more specifically a frost mage, although I can go into detail on arcane and fire if anyone is interested.

Talents that I take in this fight are:
Blazing speed: It’s more my play style. I want to GTFO of the way quickly as Thok enters phase 2 or get into position quickly when restarting phase 1. Icy Flows is a viable talent here as well.

Temporal Shield: There is a LOT of damage going out with all of the screeches. Ice Barrier won’t even absorb one on it’s own and costs a gcd to cast. Temporal shield will lower damage by 15% (thank you patch 5.4!) and heal back 100% of the damage lost in the last 4s over the next 6s. Helps healers, keeps you alive. Good all-round. It’s good for helping with the DoT Thok casts if GI is down.

Greater Invisibility: If Thok is gaining on you and you can’t outrun him anymore, GI will make him stop in place for 2s while he finds another target. So it will save your life! It’s also great for removing the DoT.

Living Bomb: No brainer. Most of the time there is only one target (Thok) and it’s our best single target bomb. Don’t forget to cast it on the Jailer when he’s up. Bomb uptime is important and a core portion of our dps. Recast if you get a haste proc (legendary meta/hero) and/or intellect procs and don’t be afraid to cast it even if you have one up.

Invocation: There is too much movement to rely on Rune of Power, and the absorption talent doesn’t mitigate much damage at all. Invocate is only useful when you cast it… uptime should be as close to 100% as possible. If you are fixated then that’s the exception.

Glyphs
Rapid Displacement: Blink gives you two charges. Great for creating more distance between you and Thok during fixate, getting back into position for phase1, or beating that monk back to the boss after a wipe 

Icy Viens – Dps increase vs haste increase. I’ll take the dps, thank you.

Frostfire Bolt: I rarely use this one but it makes sense on this fight. During screeches, he will lock you out of frost if you’re not quick enough (which happens now and again); but you can still cast FFB! Taking this glyph will lower it’s cast time so that you can get them out if you’re locked between screeches.

I’ll call myself out here… during phase 2 when Thok was chasing someone else, I would blink/blazing speed beside him to keep dpsing. I didn’t realize how much damage I was taking while doing this and put an unnecessary stress on the healers. My apologies.

If you want me to get more prescriptive on any of the mechanics, let me know.

Klunky
Klunky
noobtastic

Re: Thok as a Mage

Postby Efficacy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:59 pm

Didn't think about using greater invis. I'm guilty of chasing boss too lol
Efficacy
noob

Postby Ardcoreraidr » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:04 pm

thank you
Ardcoreraidr
noob

Postby Ardcoreraidr » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:11 am

Since I'm Arcane and running Mage Armor for the Mastery, I wanted to mention to always use Frost Armor on this or you won't be able to get a cast off in between the silences.
Ardcoreraidr
noob

Postby Klunky » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:36 am

Thanks for the kind words and input.

I wrote this after our repeated wipes on Thok. Now that we're taking screeches to more stacks, I find that taking the Incanter's Ward instead works better for frost and possibly fire. I've found myself not being able to use Invocation despite my high level of haste once we get past a certain number of stacks. Doing so causes me to get locked out of arcane spells, and causes a few wasted seconds of dps.

A few seconds after the pull, Thok will AoE the raid which is a good time to cast Incanter's Ward and give yourself the buff damage buff so that you're ready for when we stack and hero/timewarp.

I macroed Incanter's Ward and Temporal Shield together. I figure that since neither is on the GCD and that they both have the same CD they have good synergy. Especially since I'm expecting to take damage so I might as well mitigate it and get my health back, and get my damage buff all in one shot.
Klunky
noobtastic

Return to Shark Tank